Who We Are
The MCHD gift shop is operated by the Volunteer Auxiliary. Volunteers are always needed to provide excellent customer service to our patients and guests. Currently, the Auxiliary has 45 members.
In the summer of 2001 Billie Faye Schumacher contacted then CEO Scott Brown about having a group of volunteers to staff the Surgical Waiting Room. At the same time, Mr. Brown contacted Betty Unlaub concerning organizing an auxiliary to operate a gift shop in the hospital. The two civic-minded ladies began calling friends and acquaintances to join the effort. Soon a group of 27 folks were deep into cleaning the shop space, ordering product, stocking shelves and choosing uniforms.
The shop officially opened in November 2001. Since then, membership in The Auxiliary has changed and grown, but the current group is just as dedicated as the original.
The services provided by The Auxiliary have also grown. In addition to the gift shop, The Auxiliary members also staff the Surgical Waiting Room, serve as Rose Ladies for the hospital and adjacent nursing home, entertain the nursing home residents as the Fun with Music singers, operate the popcorn machine on Wednesdays, and assist the hospital with the annual Health Fair.
For more information on the areas where Auxiliary Volunteers serve, or to see us in action, please browse "Where we Serve" on the left of this page.
"Auxiliary members Jim Capps, Mary Jane Walker, Phyllis Palser, DeVonna Haris and Ruby Cummings receive their hour bars for service to the hospital during 2014."
The Gift Shop at MCHD * 224 E 2nd Street, Dumas, TX 79029 * (806) 935-7171 x 1902